March 7, 2012

Banoffee Cake


Source: Salwah Omar (Wedding by Salwah)
Y'day I tried to bake Banoffee Cake. It's my 2nd attempt as I'm so determined how this Banoffee Cake turn out with my own baking. 1st attempted was last week which I've failed bcos I'd mis-read the content which is my weakest subject (Malay). 1st mistake was I weight cocoa 200g instead of 20g, 2nd mistake I made over beated the batter bcos my cake shrunk half the size after cooling on the rack, 3rd mistake I made the caramel cream, I left on the stove for a second b4 stirring & becames clogged on the bottom and 4th mistake was the whipping cream bcos the whipped was separated when I whipped.
So, the whole batch I had to throw down the bin shoot & was disappointed with my failure I'd made. So, here is my 2nd attempt of MY Banoffee Cake, it looks more like lopsided cake instead (LOL)...Salwah Omar, I promise to make it better next time.
Ingredients:
(A) 5 egg whites ~ 60g ea
      70g castor sugar
      ¼ tsp cream of tartar
(B) 5 egg yolks
      30g brown sugar
      40g Canola oil
      40g fresh milk
      200g bananas ~ mashed
(C) ½ tsp baking powder
      100g HK flour/Cake flour
      20g cocoa powder
      ½ tsp vanilla essence
      Pinch of salt
Dulce de Leche Cream:
5 egg yolks
80g muscovado sugar
60g Corn flour
500g fresh milk
¼ tsp vanilla essence
120g Caramel (Brand: Seriously Butter Caramel Dipping Sauce)
250g Whipping Cream ~ whisk firm peak
Chocolate Ganache:
200g Dark Couverture (Valrhona)
180g Dairy Cream (Greenfield)
Direction:
  1. Preheat the oven to 170 deg.  Line 3 7" round cake pan with paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine ingredients (A) till firm peaks.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the egg yolks & sugar.  Then add in the wet ingredient (B) & mix until combined.
  4. Using a spatula fold in (A) gently into (B) mixture is incorporated.
  5. Divide into 3 equal 7" round cake pan (weight abt 200g ea) & bake for about 15-20 mins until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.  Cool completely in the pans.
  6. Place one layer, flat side up on a flat plate.  With a knife or offset spatula, spread the top with frosting & arrange cut banana.  Place the second & third layer on top (rounded side up) & spread the frosting evenly on the top & sides of the cakes.   Set the frosting cake in fridge before pour the chocolate Ganache & decorate as you wish.
    To make the cream ~ Whisk egg yolks muscovado sugar, corn flour & ¼ cup fresh milk till combined & set aside.  Heat the balance of the fresh milk & pour into the yolks batter & mixture is incorporated.  On the stove, keep stirring the mixture until thicken & removed.  Then add caramel sauce & set aside to completely cool before add in the whipping cream.
    To make the Ganache ~ Heat the dairy cream & pour into the chopped chocolate & mix until all melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment