April 12, 2010

Scone / Biscuits


This morning, when I wanted to have my breakfast, I realised that I ran out of bread....!  Look into my pantry & I decided to make English scone.  My hubby loves scone & he had it with raspburry.

Ingredients:
2½ cup all-purpose flour
2½ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp castor sugar
½ tsp salt
113g cold unsalted butter ~ cut into small cubes
¾ cup milk
1 whole egg ~ lightly beaten

Topping:
1 whole egg ~ lightly beat with 1 tbsp milk

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven at 180 deg. C (or 160 deg. C for the top)
  2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt & sugar. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (use fingertips). Add the milk & slightly beaten egg & stir until just combined.  (The texture should be sticky, moist & lumpy.)
  3. Place mixture on a lightly floured surface & knead the dough gently until it comes together & is smooth dough
  4. Roll out dough to ½” (1.25 cm) thickness. Cut out dough with a lightly floured round cookie cutter.  Place on prepared baking sheet & brush the tops with the beaten egg & milk mixture & bake for about 10 - 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown & a toothpick inserted in the center of the scone comes out clean. Remove from oven & place on a wire rack.  Serve warm with butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment