June 28, 2009

Basic Chiffon Cake


Lately I've been trying to bake Pandan Chiffon Cake for couple of days & it fails 3 times.  Each time I baked, I tried to figure where do I go wrong.  It's so simple yet I failed.  So, I decided to do some research on how to bake Chiffon Cake.  Everybody can bake this simple cake but there's a catch to it. 

I searched on youtube & none mentioned about the method of baking chiffon cake.  Then one fine day, luck on my side, I found a site on youtube called "I-Hate-Cooking-Recipes.com" by Chef Todd Mohr explaining ways & method.  I sat all day to watched & I found it very useful.  For those who wonder why the chiffon cake doesn't rise, check this website for self educate....

Finally, my chiffon cake turns out good.....My hubby request me to bake him an "Angel Food Cake" similiar to Chiffon Cake & I'm going to bake him one tomorrow.

Ingredient A
5 egg yolks
150g self-raising flour
75g castor sugar
5 tbsp canola/corn oil
5 tbsp water

Ingredient B
5 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
75g castor sugar

Directions:
  1. Put all ingredients A into a mixing bowl & use a whisk to stir in one direction until smooth & well-combined.  Set aside
  2. Put egg whites into another mixing bowl & use an electric mixer & whisk until frothy.   Add cream of tartar & whisk on high speed.  Add in sugar slowly into the egg whites & continue to whisk until stiff but not dry (egg whites can form into soft peak).
  3. Pour the mixture A into egg white mixture.   Use a spatula & fold the mixture until smooth & well-combined.
  4. Pour into a 22cm chiffon cake tin (does not grease or line).   Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for about 30 minutes until lightly brown or cooked.
  5. Remove from oven, invert & leave to cool completely before removing cake from the tin.
Using flavors:
(A) Orange Chiffon Cake:
     - 5 tbsp orange juice plus 1 tsp grated orange rind
(B) Pandan Chiffon Cake:
     - 5 tbsp pandan juice plus 5 tbsp coconut milk (to replace canola/corn oil)
(C) Mocha Chiffon Cake:
     - 2 tbsp instant coffee dissolved with 5 tbsp boiling water (leave to cool)

No comments:

Post a Comment